Saturday, January 12, 2013

Some Things from 2012


I learned a lot of stuff this last year that I intend to keep close. I always feel a bit better if I learn something every day. Here are a few things I learned this year that I’d like to share with you.

I learned about Quirky.com- a place for everyday people to submit ideas of things that need to be made. You know - like when you are peeling an onion and you have an ah-ha moment and can just "see" the perfect invention but have no idea how to go about getting it made? Quirky.com. Like a spray attachment for a lemon or lime. Yup, it attaches right to the fruit. Depress the pump - like the pumps available for oil or vinegar spraying -  and juice comes out in a mist. Isn’t that wonderful? $5.99. Once the product is produced you can buy it directly from the Quirky.com on-line store.

I didn’t learn about TED this year, but I want to make sure you all know about it. Technology Education and Design. TED. Talks from experts on everything; over 1100 talks. TED : Ideas Worth Spreading. TED.com. Rather than spend 20 minutes looking at an on-line catalogue, or someone else’s wish-list (think pinned things...) why not choose something from the TED list and be entertained, laugh and learn something all at the same time.  I rarely get out of the TED site without some gem to take forward with me. For example, Markham Nolan: How to separate fact from fiction on-line,  or Ben Saunders : Why bother leaving the house? (In 2004 he was the youngest person to ever ski to the North Pole), Mike Rowe: Learning from dirty jobs, or Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are.

For the decorator in you, sign up for Maria Killam’s ColorMeHappy blog. Mariakillam.com. While I don’t agree with everything she says or espouses, she is one of the most important colorists out there right now, and she lives in Vancouver. I heard about her from a colleague of mine who lives  in California. You have heard me talk about undertones, this lady is the expert.  Her column is witty and informative and is another site I rarely walk away from empty-handed.

And my personal favorite for the year: “Letters to a Young Poet” by Rainer Maria Rilke. Ten letters written during  the years of 1903 to 1908 from an older poet (age 29) to a younger poet (age 19).  Best book I ever read.

Happy New Year, and thanks for reading.

No comments: